Soon-to-be-graduates! Congratulations from the Division of IT, and we wish you the best of luck in your endeavors after college. Whatever those may be, we hope you remember fondly your time at Maryland.
While at Maryland, you may have used TERPmail, downloaded software from TERPware, and visited Terrapin Tech. Whether you’ve done all of these or none of these, we’re here to tell you what happens after you graduate. What software and services do you get to keep? What benefits expire, and when do they expire? We have the answers to all your questions–just keep reading!
Campus Services and CAS Login
Many online applications at the University of Maryland require you to log in through the Central Authentication Service (CAS) using your Directory ID and password. Once you graduate, you will begin to lose access to some of the services that are available only to currently registered students. These applications include, but are not limited to:
- ELMS: Download any files, projects, or assignments you want to have access to after graduation.
- Lynda: UMD students have free access to Lynda.com, an online library of thousands of teaching videos. Take this time to learn something new before your access expires, or download files and notes that you want to access later.
- UMD Box: Box is a cloud-based storage and collaboration system available to current students only. If you have any files in Box, make sure to export them!
- Lucidchart and Lucidpress: If you have created diagrams using these tools, you won’t be able to access them after graduating. Download any files you want to keep.
Good news! Your TERPmail address (.umd.edu or .terpmail.umd.edu) will still be available to you after you graduate! In order to keep using your TERPmail, you must visit the Registrar’s website and update your email forwarding information.
- Adobe Creative Cloud: Adobe CC includes Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat, Edge Animate, Muse and more! If you have files stores in any of these applications, you will have until July 31, 2018 to purchase a personal Creative Cloud subscription and migrate your assets. Adobe CC from TERPware will not be available to you after this point.
- SPSS: This software has a variety of statistics applications and costs $60 for an annual license from Terrapin Tech. You may keep this software upon graduation but leaving the university without graduating requires that you remove the software from your computer.
- Office 2016: The Office 2016 software package includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Publisher (Windows only), and OneNote. Access to this software expires 30 days after leaving the university, after which Office will operate in a reduced functionality until a personal subscription is acquired.
Located on the first floor of McKeldin Library, Terrapin Tech offers a variety of services.
First, you can get free computer assistance at Terrapin Tech! Whether you need assistance with software installations, data backups, virus removals, or a variety of other problems, Terrapin Tech’s certified technicians can help. Terrapin Tech is also an authorized service provider for Apple and Dell, and can perform warranty repairs for those products. Before you graduate, take a trip down to Terrapin Tech to finally get help with that computer problem you’ve been putting off this semester!
At Terrapin Tech, you can also shop for the latest Apple and Dell products and take advantage of exclusive educational discounts! Visit Terrapin Tech in-person or check out the newly-opened online store. After graduation, you won't be able to take advantage of educational discounts.
As you can see, there’s a lot to do before you graduate. Make sure you take into account the information above so you can take full advantage of the resources we provide to the UMD community. And, as always, please stop by Terrapin Tech or give us a call at 301.405.1500 if you have any questions!