The Division of IT is implementing changes to the University of Maryland wireless network offerings. Please note the following:
- eduroam is the preferred wireless network for students and employees
- umd-guest will continue to be the wireless network for visitors
- umd-iot will be deployed to accommodate Internet of Things (IoT) devices like streaming devices and digital assistants (more details about this new wireless network service are coming soon)
- Beginning July 29, 2019 the umd-secure wireless network will no longer be available
- Beginning August 15, 2019 the umd wireless network will no longer be available. Guests using sponsored wireless accounts should now log into umd-guest instead of umd.
We recommend that you set up your eduroam connection as soon as possible by selecting the eduroam wireless network on your device and authenticating with your entire UMD email address (DirectoryID@umd.edu) and Directory password. See the Guide to Eduroam for additional instructions if needed.
This change is aligned with best practices in higher ed, and it aims to increase network efficiency, improve the user experience, and expand our network offerings to accommodate the rapid and widespread increase of IoT devices. In addition, eduroam offers you the benefit of automatic and secure wireless connectivity when visiting other educational institutions.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the IT Service Desk.